Stinson's first light plane, the model 105, is also known by the
designation HW-75 and HW-80, received its Approved Type
Certificate number (ATC#) 709 on May 20, 1939. A Continental
A-75-3 engine powered the 1939 model 105 (HW-75) while the 1940
model 105 (HW-80) was powered by the Continental A-80-6 engine.(some versions were powered with a 90 h.p. Franklin)
Gross weight is 1580 pounds. While listed as a 3 seater the
useful load of only 655 pounds makes carrying three people most
difficult. A cruise speed of 105 mph was the reason for the model number. One major innovation of the model 105 is the use of wing
slots for better slow speed control. Wing slots would be a
design feature of all future Stinson aircraft. About 535 model
105's were built, with several purchased by celebrities including
Jimmy Stewart and Edgar Bergen.
Stinson aircraft, named after Eddie Stinson, at the time of the
105 design, 1939, was part of Aviation Manufacturing Corporation.
Headquarters and plant were at Wayne, Michigan. Vultee Aircraft
Corporation purchased the Stinson Division in 1940 and moved
headquarters to Downey, California. At the same time
manufacturing was moved to Nashville, Tenn.
The first production batch of the 1940 model 105's was built in
Nashville, Tenn. Military orders overtaxed that facility and
production of the 105 returned to Wayne, Michigan.The Stinson 105 was a popular three place light airplane and was considered as one of the "big four"in the light plane field.It was available as a land plane or sea plane, with two side-by-side seats forward and one facing sideways behind them.
Performance-Powered with a 90 h.p. Franklin engine,the 105 has a maximum speed of 115 m.p.h.,cruises at 105 m.p.h.,Its normal range is 380 miles.Rate of climb 507 ft./min. Service ceiling 13,000 ft. Manufactured by Stinson Aircraft Division Manufacturing Corporation, Wayne,Michigan.
The L-5 was the military version of the commercial Stinson 105 Voyager. Six Voyagers were purchased by the AAF in 1941 as YO-54s for testing, and quantity orders for Sentinels began in 1942, first as O-62s before the designation was changed to "L" for liaison in April 1942. Between 1942-5, the AAF ordered 3,590 L-5s, making it the second most widely used AAF liaison aircraft. The unarmed L-5 with its short field takeoff and landing capability was used for reconnaissance, removing litter patients from front line areas, delivering supplies to isolated units, laying communications wire, spotting enemy targets for attack aircraft, transporting personnel, rescuing Allied personnel in remote areas and even as a light bomber. In Asia and the Pacific, L-5s remained in service with USAF units as late as 1955.
Maximum speed: 130 mph.
Cruising speed: 90 mph.
Range: 360 miles
Service Ceiling: 15,600 ft
Gee Bee |
Golden Age of Air Racing | Organizations | Book Store | Special Interest | Weather | Golden AgeHistory | Historical Records | Engines | Hangar |
Written & Edited by Darrell Graves
© 1998 firstname.lastname@example.org